Friday, October 11, 2013

Rick Najera at the jamaica in Pasadena

Rick Najera is an actor, director, and producer with credits in film, television, theater and Broadway.  
He made his Broadway debut in 2005 in "LATINOLOGUES", a sketch comedy show that he wrote.  A list of those who have acted in this long running show would include: Eugenio Derbez, Edward James Olmos, Jaime Camil, Cythia Klitbo, Eric Estrada, Geraldo Rivera, Maria Conchita Alonso, Jacob Vargas, Tony Plana, Cristian De La Fuente, Fernadn Carrillo, Rene Lavan, and Yarelli Arizmendi.

In addition to his works that relate directly to the theater, Rick has written four books.  Latins Anonymous, Pain of the Macho, Latinologues; From Broadway and Beyond, his recently released - Almost White: Forced Confession of a Latino in Hollywood.  


In 2012 he developed pneumonia and as result passed out in his bathroom.  He was severely injured in his fall and spent days in a coma.  In his words he shares: "When I cam out of the coma, I was in an incubator  I looked like a broken man, with no future.  It was like a brake on my life.  so I thought about the past a lot.  For the first time I really reassessed my life.  When yo come so close to death you tend to start examining things on a metaphysical level.  And when I did that, I realized what a wonderful people and culture I belong to.  And with Travis Smiley urging me, that's when I knew I had to write this book".


 Rick will be having a booksigning at La Pintoresca Library from 12:30-1:15 as part of our jamaica, next Saturday, October 19th.  



No comments: