Wednesday, October 2, 2013

We need more nopales

A couple of days ago I wrote about the Family Nopal that was instituted by the Mejia family.  I didn't want to inundate the blog with nopal pictures, but I felt I needed to share a couple more images.

Thanks to the work of District 5 Field Rep, Vannia de la Cuba and the great staff at Villa Parke, a Census Fiesta (is you will) took place encouraging all folks in the area to register in the 2010 Census.  

Latino Heritage was there with our Family Nopal activity.  For little ones it was a chance to talk about their family members and maybe even get a little practice writing names.

There were two young women, cousins I think, who started to color in the nopal.  Before too long they were challenging each other to come up with as many family members' names as they possibly could.   Each name mentioned was accompanied by a short story or mentioning a familial point of connection.  



I don't know about you, but I was impressed.  And I think it was great for them to have written record, albeit pretty informal, to take home.  Bet you there was a conversation with someone else about all these names - which is sort of the point.



No comments: